Saturday, August 10, 2013

How it all got started

How it all got started 


Last year I was blessed beyond anything I had ever imagined to be able to travel to Romania through the Smiles Foundation. The things I saw while traveling through the beautiful country allowed me to truly understand that being poor is to lack a holistic relationship with Christ. I thought I was traveling to Romania to help the poor and neglected, but I had no idea what I was in for. I learned that the beautiful people there were richer than I could ever hope to be. They have nothing, and yet they have everything! They have that relationship with Christ that only few people in this world ever achieve, because even though they may be poor by our societies standards today, they have a true insight as to what it means to be eternally rich. Leaving these people was one of the hardest things I have ever done, and on the way home I decided that I simply HAD to make it back. Last trip, my grandfather traveled with me and was generous enough to pay for my part in the trip. This time around, I am determined to raise the money for myself!  So I am proud to announce that with the help of some of my family and friends, I will be making and selling Romania-flag inspired friendship bracelets to help raise the funds I will need to hopefully journey back this summer. I will need to sell around 600 bracelets between now and late April, so you can help me out in a number of different ways. First, of course, buy a bracelet or make a donation! The bracelets will sell for $5 each. Second, you could like my page on Facebook and share it with your own friends! (www.Facebook.com/helpkatiespreadsmiles) Thirdly, you can continue to check my blog throughout the year for updates and more!  600 is a long way to go, but I am confident that through hard work, determination, the help of my family and friends, and God at my side, that I can meet this goal and soon be back in Romania helping spread smiles to the communities there. Thanks everyone for visiting my blog! 

"Every time you smile at someone, it is an action of love, a gift to that person, a beautiful thing." - Mother Teresa 




-Katie :) 

1 comment:

  1. Where do we send a donation or an order for a bracelet? You can email me through FB (Claire's friend)

    ReplyDelete